Wednesday, January 21, 2009

How a "green" sandwich led to green opportunities

A week ago I had a craving for a sandwich--but not just Subway or Potbelly's.  I wanted a really good sandwich, and I remembered this place I had eaten at a year ago called Hannah's Bretzel.  They are Chicago's first organic carry-out eatery, and they also serve everything in 100% biodegradable containers and cups, in addition to recycling in-store.  They also have a "green" policy that shows they really care about the environment and people's health too.  They have newspapers in-store, in addition to pamphlets and green magazines like Conscious Choice that are free.  Check out their web site instead and save some trees.    

I found something that I had never known about--the Winter 2008 Program Schedule for the Chicago Center for Green Technology. Green Tech U offers free classes in everything green, in addition to some classes given by the Chicago Sustainable Business Alliance that cost $90.  But the best thing is that you can get a certificate from Green Tech U in one of the following subject areas: Architecture, Building & Construction Management, Engineering, Green Business, Green Home & Garden, and Interior Design.  I am getting a certificate in Green Business.  

My first class was yesterday.  It was called Introduction to Sustainable Business--Principles.  It was taught by Burt Klein, an executive at a green business called PortionPac and Peter Nicholson, President and Executive Director at Foresight Design Initiative.  It was really interesting, but I also realized that I am really informed when it comes to green business and sustainability.  

All of the newsletters that I get emailed to me help keep me informed.  I get three from GreenBiz.com.  One on green business, one on green design, and one on green tech.  I also get a newsletter from the Foresight Design Initiative called Chicago Sustainability Hub. Sign up for it here.  Staying informed and educated about all things green will not only make you a more desirable job applicant but a more informed consumer as well.                       

No comments: